Wednesday 24 December 2014

A chance encounter.

While holidaying here at Coolum Beach I have been venturing out early in the morning or late afternoon so that I can escape the heat of midday. Yesterday I was hoping to park near First Bay but everyone else had the same idea. Instead I stopped at the lookout at Point Perry and looked down on the bay.

I was looking for some shade and found a little patch on a bench. I could spread out my painting gear in comfort and I had a view of the beach below - if I looked between some trees.

My painting was almost finished when a couple with a little girl approached me.
They asked if they could see what I had been doing. 
"Your colours are the colours if heaven," she said.


Watercolour and ink on Arches Hot Press paper

We had a lovely conversation- of the sort that is unexpected and special. This is one of the joys of sketching - that connection with someone that makes your day. 

I asked her name - and she wrote it at the bottom of my sketch. Then on impulse, I asked if I could take a photograph of her. Last night I painted Fili's portrait - a special soul. 

Fili - Gouache, graphite and watercolour in Beta sketchbook

And now on Christmas Eve, I wish you a happy, relaxed day tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment